Nopales (Cactus) Salad
- 2 Lb Nopal (Cactus) cut into pieces
- 2 Garlic Cloves peeled and minced
- 1/3 Cup Scallion Tops chopped
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp White Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice more to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Mexican Dried Oregano
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1/2 Small Purple Onion sliced
- 1 Large Tomato sliced
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Cotija Cheese crumbled
- 2-3 Pickled Jalapeños (Escabeche) cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 Avocado sliced (optional)
In a large pan heat up the 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Add the scallions and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the nopales and salt, stir to combine and cover the pan. Cook for about 12 minutes over medium heat, carefully shaking the pan to prevent them from sticking. Once the nopales are steamed strain in a large colander to get rid of any excess juice for 10 minutes, don't rinse the nopales.
Combine the cooked nopales with the fresh cilantro, white onion, lime juice, mexican oregano and sea salt to taste. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes taste nopales add more salt and lime to taste. Spread nopales in a dish. Decorate with onion rings, tomato slices, jalapeño, cilantro, avocado slices (optional) and cheese.
Serve with tostadas and enjoy!
You can also serve Nopales (Cactus) Salad with romaine leaves for a lighter version.
If you prefer a milder cheese, queso fresco or a feta can be substituted instead of cotija.